Monday, November 23, 2009

Clip of the Week - Thanksgiving

This week is Thanksgiving - so in opera for what am I thankful?  There is quite a lot - brilliant singers, great operatic works that continue to move and edify.  So on this thanksgiving - 2009 - I want to say that I am especially thankful for the life and work of the late great tenor Luciano Pavarotti.  My first experience of him was through recordings.  I never had the opportunity to see or hear him live.  But I am thankful for the Met Texaco broadcasts who brought him and others into my living room every Saturday from the time I was a small child.  So, I want to offer this clip for thanksgiving.  Since it is thanksgiving I wanted something that he really sang beautifully.  So, despite the fact that there are a couple Puccini arias which he sang fit the cill I am posting a link to Pavarotti singing "Una furtiva lagrima" from "L'Elisir d'Amore" by Donizetti.  This is a wonderful performance - enjoy - and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment